Home » , » Harley-Davidson Night Rod

Harley-Davidson Night Rod


My first impression of Harley-Davidson’s 2012 Night Rod Special was this: I’ve never ridden a motorcycle that propelled me f
orward with such velocity. The slightly scary part was that it wasn’t even that difficult. No thinking, no shifting, no timing. Just. Go. Forward. No, Harley-Davidson hasn’t outfitted its latest V-Rod with an automatic transmission. It’s just that, even in first gear, I could get the motorcycle to 60 mph without even red-lining. For me it was a new experience.



  What we have here is one of the latest entries into the power cruiser arena, and here are the vitals: Folks, for just $15,299, you get a slammed-black liquid-cooled V-Twin fuel-injected two-wheeled 5-speed dual-exhaust motorcycle. In retrospect, I guess that “two-wheeled” part was redundant. Anyway … Harley sells the Night Rod Special with the idea that it is the perfect combination of power and swagger, and, for the most part, I think they hit it on the head.



Displacing about 1,250 CCs, the Night Rod Special makes about 85 ft.-lb of torque and 125 horses at peak power, and for me that was plenty. Leading up to my picking up the motorcycle at H-D headquarters in Milwaukee a few weeks ago, I was worried about the feat-forward-hands-forward seating configuration, but after about 20 miles on I-94 heading back to Madison, I was over it—I felt fine. In fact, for this V-Rod model, Harley brought the footpegs and handlebars a few inches closer to the seat. Near the end of my first 90 miles on the motorcycle, my posterior was almost pain free, and my back was fine, too.





Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.